Monday, April 13, 2009

My issues with [newspaper] issues


I'm planning to go into journalism.
I'm also beginning to learn that the "planning" part
can't stick around too long.
After all, action has to happen at some point!

In my spare time (which is very rare), I have been researching internships.
I do sometimes feel like I'm getting ahead of myself.
I'm only a college sophomore!
Still, I won't reprimand myself too harshly for my high hopes.
I'm glad I've found something I'm that excited about.
There are too many possibilities!

Yesterday, I was in the Carolinas,
visiting some of my family for Easter weekend.
We ate at a restaurant in North Carolina,
and I saw a local newspaper for sale outside.
I froze.
This paper was one of my internship possibilities.
On the way out, I bought one to read on the way back to my hometown.

Back in town late last night, we stopped at a convenience store for my family's Sunday tradition of buying papers
(a combination of our appreciation for them and my mom's recent interest in the "art" of coupon clipping).
With two more papers in hand, the same thought that made me freeze earlier in the day caught my attention again.

I pulled all three of the papers into my lap and looked at them, coming to the realization that I could, in time, be writing for any one of them.
What a profound realization that was.

I often have friends ask me where I want to go
with "this whole journalism thing."
Do I have a dream paper, one I've always dreamed of writing for?
I don't think so.
I'm just praying for open doors.

However, advice a friend gave me last week is
still running through my head.
Basically, it was that I shouldn't be afraid to "go big" with my career.
"Big" referring to both my future achievements and my "ability" to write for some specific large, well-known newspapers.

It's sometimes scary having people believe in you.

I'm pondering if I would be willing to "go big"
if those doors were opened to me.
I suppose I just need to be smart enough to not let myself be afraid of opportunity.
God, give me wisdom...

0 comments: