Saturday, May 21, 2011

Hello, End of the World...

I haven't written a post for this blog in ages. Today is supposed to be the end of the world though, so I figured now would be a good occasion to share my thoughts yet again. ;-)

There has been a lot of hype lately because a religious group is claiming that the Rapture is going to occur today, May 21, 2011, at 6 p.m. It's being hailed as "Judgment Day" by a guy named Harold Camping who claims to have figured out the exact date and time of the Rapture from some elaborate math equation given to him by God. Evidently, he has convinced a lot of people of his views…

Now, I am a Christian who believes the Rapture will happen at some point. The thing is... We can't predict it, according to the Bible:

“But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come. It’s like a man going away: He leaves his house and puts his servants in charge, each with their assigned task, and tells the one at the door to keep watch. Therefore keep watch because you do not know when the owner of the house will come back—whether in the evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or at dawn. If he comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping. What I say to you, I say to everyone: ‘Watch!’” --Mark 13:32-37

I have seen some interesting posts and comments from friends about the Rapture. They range from poking fun at the idea of it being today to pointing out that we should be ready for Jesus' return anyway.

I’m sort of in both camps, finding the prediction funny yet realizing the Rapture's seriousness. If the Bible plainly says we do not know the hour, then we don’t. However, we should also follow its advice to always be ready.

How does one get ready? Admit to God that you, like every other human that has ever existed, are a sinner. Ask for His forgiveness, and commit your life to living for Him. Then actually do it by following what He commands.

The End of the World is going to happen at some point, but I don’t think it will be today. Be ready anyway. Nothing in this world is certain, and neither is the exact date of its end.


0 comments: