
Though I’m single, I have a Valentine’s Day tradition that I’ve kept for a few years now.
When I woke up this morning, I remembered the date on the calendar, and I lay in bed a few extra minutes to organize my thoughts.
It’s reflection. And on Valentine’s Day, love is the focus.
When I think of love, I don’t necessarily associate it with being in a relationship. There could be a day in the future when I thank God for a man in my life. Even so, I hope I will continue to focus on the way I think of love now.
Love isn’t exclusive. It isn’t just for those who are walking down the boulevards hand-in-hand with their significant others. Love is for everyone who is willing to accept it and give it away.
When I see those people walking hand-in-hand, I hope for their sakes that it’s love—not the “He’s hot, she’s hot” kind of "love", but the kind that actually makes a difference.
I draw my definition of love from the Bible. Though verses like 1 Corinthians 13 are quoted all the time, they offer the best definitions I’ve found.
"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."
To me, love isn’t really love unless it’s striving to measure up to that. I keep saying the phrase “I love you” to a minimum because love means so much to me. I don’t take it lightly.
I realize that, though I’m single, there’s plenty I can do to show love to people. I just need to remember to be patient, kind, non-envious, non-boastful...
Despite the barrage of candy hearts, red roses and P.D.A. our society presents us with on Feb. 14, I pray I remember what love really is.
Then, I pray I can act on that love.
Love is an action after all.



0 comments:
Post a Comment